I can’t believe I am writing this post but this year I finally decided to take the plunge and try to do a whole no spend year! Thats 365 days of no irrational, impulsive, recreational spending.
You can check out my YouTube video below.
I have been reading and watching other peoples no spend years or months for a long time now. I have even completed no spend months myself. However I was never ready to commit myself. This year is going to be the year and heres why –
Everything you need to know about my no spend year
Reasons for my no spend year 2021
- Help achieve my financial goals – Saving might seem like the most obvious one but I would like to stop spending my money in places where its not needed and put it all towards a greater goals like becoming debt free and becoming financially independant. You can check out my 2021 goals to find out more about them.
- Help achieve minimalism goals – If you have been following me for a while then you will know that I desire to live a more minimalistic lifestyle. I only want to be surround by the things that I love – or should I say bring me joy. Not buying unnessary items and bring them into my home will help to achieve these goals.
- Help achieve sustainability goals – I am all about the sustainabilty (Incase you couldn’t tell by my blog haha) so I think that by not buying unnessary items, using everything I have and reusing and recycling, this will help more towards saving our beautiful planet. I have a wholw series called – 5 simple things – where in each post I share 5 simple things that you can do to save the planet and your money.
- Experience a proper depth year – I have written about depth years already and this year I want to really experience one. I want to really use everything a have and love it too. Instead of consuming more, more, more. I want to really experience and enjoy the possessions that I currently own.
- Challenge myself – I like to challenge myself every now and then to see my limits. I think this will be a great way to test myself and get to know myself even more. I want to see what I am capable of.
No spend rules / to dos
- Try not to buy anything new – When the time comes to buy (should I need to) try not to buy it new.
- Try to make do with what I already have – Try to solve the problem with the items I have or by borrowing from a friend before purchasing.
- Think about purchases for atleast 14 days – Again I am trying not to spend anything but should the need arise I want to wait 14 days to make sure I really want it or I just want to spend.
- Avoid trigger shops – For me these are shops like Penneys / Primark and Dealz. They are the shops where I go in for one thing and come out with 200. I am going to try and avoid these shops as best I can so that I do not get tempted.
- Read / Listen to Marie Kondos books again – These books are so motivating to me and help me get on the right track.
- Watch Budget girl and other budgetting / financial YouTubers – Again I like to do this to get the motivation going.
- Make and create before buying – If there is a way to make it or create it before buying then that is the way to go.
What I am allowed to buy / spend money on
- Replace items – Clothes or makeup items but only if they need replacing and I have nothing similar that will do the job.
- Work related items – This can be clothes or equipment, again only when neccessary.
- Presents for others – I am not going to stop gifting people on their birthday, for the holidays or when they have a celebration.
- Subscriptions – I currently have subscriptions to Netflix, Disney+ & Kindle and I do not plan on giving them up as I use them all.
- Pet items – If my pets need anything I will of course purchase them.
- Food – Whether this be groceries or eating out (which will be rare) I will still spend money on food.
- Household goods – By this I mean things like toilet paper, all purpose cleaner and toothpaste.
- Car related items – Such as petrol, maintenance, even a new car if neccessary. I need to be safe on the roads.
- Hairdressers – I am currently blonde and loving it. I should see the hairdressers every 6-8 weeks to keep it up. However with lockdown that might not happen. Still I am will to keep my hair colour during this no spend year.
- Holidays – I have a couple of holidays planned in 2021 including a family weddind abroad (covid permitting of course). I will of course have a budget for these.
- Holiday specific items – I don’t plan on holiday shopping before hand. However if I need holiday specific items such as suncream then I will allow myself to buy it but only if it is neccessary and I don’t have one already, something similar or I can’t borrow one for the holiday.
- Meals or time spent with others – This is not going to happen anytime soon due to covid restrictions but time spent with others is so valuable right now and who knows when we will get to have a meal out again!? That is why when the time comes I will of course allow myself to go out for a meal, lunch, coffee, whatever it may be to spend time with the people I love.
- Item wishlist – I do have wishlist items that I may or may not purchase when the time is right. These are things that are not neccessary but still bring joy or make life easier. I will tell you if I do ever decide to purchase one of these items at anytime throughout the year and why.
- Upcycling or repairing materials – As I do not intend on buying anything if I can help it I may need supplies every now and then for upcycling or repairs.
- Rewards for achieving goals – I have many big goals that need accomplishing in 2021. For example finishing college and opening up my own doggie salon, I have 2 more books in the works and many other things going on. I might decide to reward myself after I hit big milestones with a wishlist item or I may not. I have not decided yet but I will let you know.
It might seem like I am allowed to buy alot but as you will see I will be very strict with myself. The key is neccessity. If I really need and for good reason then I will buy it but before that I will try using something else similar, repairing, creating, borrowing and buying second hand before I buy something new. I will not be scrimping on food (as one of my goals is healthy clean eating and another is baking) or time spent with others or gifting others (after the year we have had we need all the love we can get).
I am both quite nervous and very excited to take on this challenge. The last year has truly been a roller coaster. It’s nice to challenge ourselves in a way that has a postitive impact on not only our own lives but on the planet too.
No Spend Year || Reasons & Rules
Please leave me a comment and tell me if you have ever done a no spend year or month! How did you get on? Did you start in January like me? If you enjoyed the video please LIKE & SUBSCRIBE. Your support would mean the world to me.
I will be doing regular updates to let you know how I am getting on each month!!