Today I am sharing my first weekly no spend year review. From now on I am going to try and bring these to you weekly so I can document the year, starting this week with the first week of february.
[Related] YouTube Video || January no spend review
You can skip to the bottom of the page to watch the Full YouTube Video.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I might receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
It has been a good week. I didn’t go over budget on anything. I had no really money wins, no windfall or anything like that. I also had no money fails either so that was good!
Things I did to save money
- Cancel Kindle Subscription – I love my kindle subscription but because I am currently reading – A Promised Land by Barack Obama, I am currently not getting my value for money out of it. I am going to keep it cancelled for a while and read the phyisical books I have in my home. Then, when I can get my value out of it again I will renew my Kindle subscription. I am currently doing the same with my Audible subscription because I have a library full of books to listen to. Once I have made my way through them I will renew that subscription too.
- Left my purse at home – Sometimes if we were going out and I knew I didn’t want to spend any money then I would just leave my purse / wallet at home so it would deter me from spending. I have Google pay on my phone if I absolutely needed to get something but other than that I would have to do without.
- Using cash only – I try to use cash whenever possible. It helps me personally to save and track my spending easier. It’s also recommended on the Dave Ramsey – Total Money Makeover Plan.
- Organising and prepping my car – I did this so that not only would it help me out in an emergency should I breakdown or get into an accident but also it will help me if I forget things so I won’t have to waste money replacing items. I also was able to take one of my money fails last month (replacing toothpaste because I left it next to a radiator) & was able to use it to get sparkling clean headlights. I did pick up some items I needed but that’s ok. I am not going to sacrific my safety in my car. I also didn’t get super spendy. I only spent €20.50.
- Decluttering and Organising my home – I decided I was going to look around my home and see if I could sell any I didn’t want, love or need any more. I also wanted to be more aware of everything that I own as this will help me not to buy duplicates in the future.
- Creating a windfall plan – I decided I needed to create a windfall plan so that I would know what to do with any extra money if I am every lucky enough to have any. I think this is a really great idea because otherwise there is a big chance that the money could just slip through your fingers unless you have a plan for it.
- Reward plan – I have also made a reward plan for myself as I believe its important to reward yourself when you are working hard. These are all little things that cost no more that €20 but I will reward myself after I pay off debts or hit big milestones. I believe this will build momentum and motivation. These are all things that I want but don’t want to spend the money on so I will have them as rewards instead.
Things I wanted to buy this month but didn’t
- Camping mess tins – This is such a silly want but I probably would have picked them up. I thought they were so cute, just like the ones on I’m a Celeb.. I hadn’t seen them before and I thought they would enhance my future camping experience. Problems with this potential purchase #1 It’s currently -1C outside, #2 It will be months before I would even think about camping, #3 I own literally no other camping equipment currently, no sleeping bags, no tent, nothing, maybe I should concentrate on that first! As you can see silly silly idea!
- Coffee Mate – I wanted to try it out for my coffee but realised I really didn’t need it and could just use milk of course which I had at home.
- B12 Vitimins – I was going to pick them up on a whim as I was feeling a bit low. I never think that your health is worth comprimising and will never recommend you risk or sacrific your health for money. However in this case I new I didn’t need them. Instead I went home ate eggs, salmon and spinch which are packed with B vitimins. I also picked up Multi-vitimins in Aldi (Kids ones, thats all they had but still) and made a plan to put them into my budget.
- Wooden Baskets in Aldi – I honestly have no idea where I would have out them in my house but they are so pretty and I really wanted them.
- Takeaway coffees & breakfast – These always get me. It’s such a strong habit that has been ingrained in me. Even though I have been making my own coffee a lot now I still get so tempted by coffee places and pastries. However I resisted and powered through. These are not on the list of things I can’t buy however I think it is unnecesary and want to try and avoid it where possible.
Are you in need of motivation to take on the year and achieve your dreams?
My book was created with you in mind! It is focused on helping you to change your mindset, chase your dreams & create the life you always wanted!
YouTube Video || No Spend Review ~ February 1st – 7th
I really hope you enjoy this video! If you do please LIKE and SUBSCRIBE! It means the world to me and my little YouTube channel!
What does your no spend year review look like so far? Do you have any tips to share with me. Please leave them in the comments below.